Skip to main content

Falls can happen anywhere, but it only takes a split-second for someone to suffer catastrophic, life-changing injuries as the result of slipping, tripping, being the victim of a faulty ladder or other piece of equipment, or countless other circumstances. In Menifee, falls are one of the most common injury-causing scenarios – new construction is everywhere, countless offices, businesses, and public spaces allow visitors and patrons to pass through their property every day, and the growing population is full of neighbors inviting each other over to their homes for social gatherings. These situations can all present slick floors, cracked sidewalks, missing handrails, and other hazards for Menifee’s 93,000 residents, leading to thousands of injuries each year when those responsible for the property don’t keep visitors safe. If you were hurt in a fall, speak to a Menifee fall accident lawyer to see if you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.

Who is Liable for My Injuries From a Fall Accident?

No matter the cause of the fall, many responsible parties may exist depending on the situation. If the owner of Menifee Countryside Marketplace rents space to a retail store, both the owner and the business may be sued by someone injured in a fall on the property. Anyone who owns, possesses, or controls a property (an owner, landlord, manager, or caretaker, for example) has a legal duty to use reasonable care to make sure their property is free from hazardous conditions to protect others. They must also take reasonable care to inspect the property and identify hazards and either it or take adequate steps to warn visitors about it unless the hazard is so obvious reasonable people would see it and avoid it.

In this case, a tenant and maybe even a management company maintaining the property would be responsible for hazards leading to injury. Other situations, such as falls in a person’s private home, are usually more straightforward when determining who has a duty of care – the owner is responsible for their home. In public places like the sidewalk outside Menifee City Hall or in Eller Park, the government entity or department responsible for maintaining the area bears the legal duty of care to visitors.


Is it Possible to Sue the Government for My Injuries?

In some cases, someone injured in a fall may bring suit against a government entity that has duties to keep streets, sidewalks, government buildings, and other public spaces maintained and free from hazards. The government usually can’t be sued due to a concept called sovereign immunity, but in certain cases this can be overcome if the government, a government contractor, or even a subcontractor was negligent or reckless. There are important requirements and deadline when filing claims against government entities, so it’s important to have the help of an experienced Menifee fall attorney to avoid costly mistakes.


What Happens if I Fall at my Neighbor’s House After They Invited Me to a Party?

Social hosts may be liable to guests on their property depending how the fall and injury occurred. Like any other owner, manager, or caretaker, homeowners must inform guests about dangerous conditions they aren’t likely to recognize themselves or else eliminate the condition. For example, while a homeowner probably doesn’t need to warn guests about the hot pink Barbie car their toddler parked in the front yard, they may be liable if a guests trips on a rug that has been a danger in the past and should have been removed, secured, or warned about before a party was held at home.


Can a Building Code Violation Help Prove the Owner Was Negligent and Caused My Fall?

Proving someone responsible for a property violated a law, rule, regulation, statute, code, or other legal standard designed to protect a group of people (such as visitors) may help establish the presumption they acted negligently. Building owners must make sure their structure complies with all necessary and relevant building codes. If, for example, you fell because a handrail wasn’t present where a building code required one to be present, you may be able to bring a claim for damage against the owner and use their violation as evidence of negligence.


How Long Do I Have to File My Case?

We understand it can be overwhelming to act or make decisions soon after suffering the trauma of a fall and injuries. However, you must follow California’s legal deadlines for filing a personal injury claim or else you permanently lose the chance to recover for your injuries in court. Different claims and different entities fall under different time limits, but generally you must file a personal injury lawsuit against the government within six months of your injury and against anyone or anything else within two years.


Should I See a Doctor Even if I Think I Wasn’t Hurt?

After any fall, you should see a medical professional as soon as possible to be evaluated and treated for any injuries. Even if you think you weren’t hurt it’s important to be examined – some injuries take days to present symptoms, so it’s important you document how they occurred to help prove your legal case, schedule and attend follow up appointments, and receive needed treatment. Be sure to follow all instructions and treatment plans exactly and attend all appointments!


How Much Can I Recover?

Falls are one of the most common causes of injury in Menifee, so it’s common to wonder what your case is worth. Severe injuries can cause enormous physical, mental, emotional, and financial damage to victims, so depending on your situation you may be able to recover compensation for several types of injuries. Our team will work with you, assemble documentation to put a total cost on your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other injuries, and fight for you to recover everything you deserve.


Should I Speak to an Attorney?

It’s very important you talk to an attorney to protect your rights and put the best foot forward on your case for recovery. If you were hurt in a fall, the experienced Menifee personal injury attorneys at Walton Law, APC can help you get back on track starting today. Our attorneys have been delivering comprehensive, aggressive representation for clients like you for years and recovered millions in damages. Contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (866)-338-7079 or via through our online Contact Page to set up a risk-free, no obligation initial case review today to get started. Let us fight for the compensation you deserve so you can focus on your recovery.