31741 Rancho Viejo Road
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Brookdale San Juan Capistrano is a for-profit institution owned by S-H OPCO San Juan Capistrano, LLC. This facility has 45 certified beds and is within a continuing care retirement community (CCRC).
Fines and Citations
As a result of their last health inspection on October 16, 2018, they received 20 citations for failure to:
- Provide a breathing treatment. According to the resident, it took over 40 minutes to get the breathing treatment;
- Develop and implement adequate care plans for several residents. Needs such as incontinence and gangrene of the foot;
- Provide proper hospice care coordination for a resident who was admitted for hospice care;
- Investigate a resident’s elopement risk which led to a failure to develop and implement a care plan;
- Adequately maintain a resident’s feeding regiment. The resident was supposed to get 1700 mL of sustenance via enteral feeding, but the medication pump was set to stop at 1500 mL;
- Assess a new resident’s central line upon admission. This led to an increased risk of infection and/or blood clot;
- Implement a proposed remedy stemming from previous non-compliance;
- Provide evidence that unused medication was destroyed. This means the staff must assume the medication was given to the patient;
- Adequately provide drug dosing parameters for 3 patients. No guidance was included in the drug order to guide dosages;
- Appropriately, store and secure the medication room key;
- Ensure resident’s dietary needs were met. One resident received full fat milk with his coffee instead of low-fat milk. Other residents were observed not getting the food they ordered;
- Adequately, clean and sanitize the walk-in freezer, food mixer, and broiler;
- Wear protective equipment when handling soiled bedding;
- Ensure a call light was functioning properly in a resident’s room;
Fire and Safety Inspections
This facility does have automatic sprinkler systems in all required areas. It’s most recent fire and safety inspection was on December 12, 2018, and no citations were given. The average number of safety citations in California is 1.6 and, in the U.S., it is 2.9.
Number of Residents
The average number of residents per day at this facility is 40.7.
The California average is 85.8.
The national average is 85.7.
Number of Nurse Staff Hours Per Resident Per Day
The total number of licensed nurse staff hours per resident per day is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
The California average is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The national average is 1 hour 33 minutes.
Number of RN Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of RN hours per resident per day is 34 minutes.
The California average is 37 minutes.
The national average is 40 minutes.
LPN/LVN Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of LPN/LVN hours per resident per day is 1 hour and 36 minutes.
The California average is 1 hour and 8 minutes.
The national average is 53 minutes.
Nurse Aid Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of nurse aid hours per resident per day is 2 hours and 37 minutes.
The California average is 2 hours 33 minutes.
The national average is 2 hours 19 minutes.
Physical Therapist Staff Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of Physical Therapist staff hours per resident per day is 15 minutes.
The California Average is 6 minutes.
The national average is 5 minutes.