1717 West Stetson Avenue
Hemet, CA 92545
ManorCare Health Services – Hemet is a for-profit institution owned by Manor Care of Hemet CA LLC. This facility has 178 certified beds and is not within a hospital or continuing care retirement community (CCRC).
Fines and Citations
As a result of their last health inspection on March 16, 2018, they received 50 citations for failure to:
- Report skin bruising and discoloration in the patient’s chart;
- Chart the reason for a resident’s discharge. Additionally, no discharge order was found on the day of discharge;
- Provide accurate assessments for each resident;
- Report significant weight loss of a resident to a physician;
- Create and implement a care plan for a new resident within 48 hours of admission;
- Create and implement a care plan specific to resident’s needs. One resident had a history of medication and alcohol abuse, but did not have a care plan specific to those risk factors;
- Administer medication that was prescribed by a physician;
- Provide treatment specific to a resident’s needs. One resident was not given a prescribed consult for bone infection. One resident’s blood sugar was not monitored for insulin administration;
- Offer range of motion therapy to patients for which it was prescribed;
- Provide adequate supervision for a patient with a history of medication and alcohol possession which led to an unsafe environment for that patient and others;
- Assess and develop a care plan for residents with incontinence which led to increased risk of urinary tract infection;
- Provide an adequate dietary plan for a resident until 9 days after admission. One resident’s food tray was placed atop a PPE cart;
- Monitor the oxygen saturation of a resident for 12 consecutive days;
- Develop and implement a pain management plan for a resident which resulted in the resident’s inability to thrive physically and mentally;
- Implement previously proposed remedies for past non-compliance;
- Appropriately staff the facility based on the number and acuity of residents and failure to have at least one licensed nurse in the facility at all times;
- Provide behavioral health services to a resident that was exhibiting signs of decreased interest and motivation;
- Accurately provide an expiration date for combined IV medication which led to the risk of under dosing the resident;
- Adequately assess residents for risk of bleeding when the resident is on anticoagulants. One resident was developing bruising with no reported trauma which is indicative of over-anticoagulating via medication;
- Appropriately monitoring and reporting indications for prescribed medications which led to increased risk of administering unnecessary medications;
- Administer anti-hypertensive medications which resulted in leg swelling;
- Label medications with the correct expiration date. Additionally, expired medications were stored in the medication room which led to increased risk that a patient could receive expired medication;
- Multiple discontinued medications were stored in the med cart;
- Complete blood work in a timely manner as prescribed by the physician;
- Comply with portion sizes when over double the size of the appropriate portion was offered on an alternate menu;
- Adequately clean and sanitize the refrigerators, 3 of 4 ice machines, and the 3-compartment sink;
- Date food containers to prevent serving expired food;
- Appropriately store oxygen tubing. The staff failed to educate family members on appropriate PPE techniques when the resident was on contact precautions;
Fire and Safety Inspections
This facility does have automatic sprinkler systems in all required areas. It’s most recent fire and safety inspection was on May 1, 2018, and no citations were given. The average number of safety citations in California is 1.6 and, in the U.S., it is 2.9.
Number of Residents
The average number of residents per day at this facility is 136.5.
The California average is 85.8.
The national average is 85.7.
Number of Nurse Staff Hours Per Resident Per Day
The total number of licensed nurse staff hours per resident per day is 2 hours and 12 minutes.
The California average is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The national average is 1 hour 33 minutes.
Number of RN Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of RN hours per resident per day is 48 minutes.
The California average is 37 minutes.
The national average is 40 minutes.
LPN/LVN Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of LPN/LVN hours per resident per day is 1 hour and 24 minutes.
The California average is 1 hour and 8 minutes.
The national average is 53 minutes.
Nurse Aid Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of nurse aid hours per resident per day is 2 hours and 11 minutes.
The California average is 2 hours 33 minutes.
The national average is 2 hours 19 minutes.
Physical Therapist Staff Hours Per Resident Per Day
The number of Physical Therapist staff hours per resident per day is 11 minutes.
The California Average is 6 minutes.
The national average is 5 minutes.